Texas Hold’em is a variation of the poker games. The difference from the other casino games is that the players play against each other, not against the house. The greatest skill test for professional poker players. It is known as the most sociable and dynamic type of poker.
- The players’ goal is to seek the best five card poker hand from any combination of the two hole cards, dealt to them face down at the beginning of the game, and five community cards opened face up in the middle (first, three cards are dealt face up on the table and the players bet after checking their two hole cards). After that, the fourth community card is dealt face up, the players check their cards and bet again. Eventually, the fifth (last) community card is dealt, followed by the betting round. Each player plays the best poker hand they can make from the seven cards comprising their two-hole cards and the five community cards (combinations can be like 2+3, 1+4 or 5 board cards only).
- After the betting rounds end, the players remaining in the game show their cards (showdown). A player with the highest 5-card combination wins the pot (chips or cash).
- If two or more players have equal hands at showdown, the pot is split between the winning players.
- If at showdown the best combination is the board (5 community cards), the pot is evenly split between the players, who did not fold their cards and stayed in the game.
- If other players, except just one, left the game at the first betting round or later on, the one remaining player wins the pot.
- If after the first betting round no raise has been made, the player at the Big Blind has the right to check without posting any chips/cash.
Actions during the betting rounds:
Raise: to increase the size of an existing bet in the same betting round. Every player can make a raise during each betting round. The rest of the players must call his bet in order to proceed to the next betting round. If nobody calls, the player who raised wins the hand.
Call: to place the amount of raise in chips or cash. Call is possible only if one or more players made a raise previously.
Check: to decline to make a raise with a right to stay in the game. Player can check only if money was put in the pot on the previous betting round and no player(s) before him raised. On the first betting round if no raise has been made, only the player at the Big Blind has the right to check.
Fold: a player can fold when it is his turn to speak at any stage of the game if no otherwise has been agreed among the players before the start. A player can fold or leave the game at any time.
All in: means that a player has put all his/her chips into the pot. In order to call the all in, other player(s) has to either say ‘All in’ or place the same amount of chips/cash and ‘Call’. If other player calls the all in by making a raise, other players have to either fold or call by placing the equivalent of the highest all in amount.